So what do you want to know?

MoniqueWillKnow@gmail.com


*Disclaimer*

Please don't go basing your PhD Thesis on anything I write here.
The information I provide comes with no guarantee of accuracy, and I'm just as likely to provide the most entertaining answer, as I am the factually correct answer.

**There are clickable links on some words to enhance your reading experience. Click them. You should. They're blue; it'll make their day**

Monday 19 July 2010

What is the song being played for Jarryd "The Hayne Train"?

Insert: There are clickable links in the blue words. Just sayin...

Lou Ana asks;

"Last resort, Facebook - a song, I know I know it. it's a train theme song, media always play it as a backing to Jarryd 'Hayne Train' it's mid-late 1990's Hip Hop/RnB, I hear it I think Arg! THAT song, can't for the life me remember any lyrics. King of 90's music (insert anonymous friend name)? or (insert another anonymous friend name) you were into that kinda music, don't know why I think that but weren't you? Anyone else?"

Firstly, Lou Ana, Facebook is only your last resort AFTER you have emailed moniquewillknow@gmail.com

And how on earth could you go past me for music trivia, ESPECIALLY 90's music trivia which was my hey-day?

I'm the forgiving type, however I reserve the right to tsk-tsk-tsk and loftily say "hmm, gee, I don't know..." when you ask me to help you out of your next retro related puzzle.

On to the answer.

You defined the parameters of your mystery song by placing it in the era known as The 90's. This tells me that your song was released sometime between 1990 and 1999, and up to 2008 in some Eastern European countries.

So how does this help us identify your elusive ditty?

By looking at music in the 90's, and taking your Hip Hop/Rap suggestion, but considering the song was mainstream, this undoubtedly means your song falls under the umbrella of "Dance" music, possibly in the arena of electronica fused with Hip Hop. Particularly, the sub-sub-sub (dub-dub-dub) genre of "Hands up" or Eurodance music.

This puts me in mind of the lyrical genius of Teknotronic ("Pump it up a little more, get the party goin' on the dance floor, see 'cause that's where the party's at and you'll find out if you do that") and Black Box ("You just walk right in, walk, walk, walk right in Waaah Woh") who paved the way for Corona ("This is the rhythm of my life, my life, oh yeah") and Ace of Base ("So if you're in sight, and the day is right, she's the hunter, you're the fox").

Which means we're looking at synthesisers, "kick" bass drum, catchy (read: simple, non-sensical) lyrics and powerful vocals, often with rapped verses ("I'm serious as cancer when I say, rhythm is a dancer"). Oh, and they were always sung in English, even if the singer didn't speak English, perhaps accounting for the afore-mentioned, dubious lyrics.

Finally, throw in the keyword Train and we arrive at our destination - Toot-Toot!

Or do we? It seems trains were popular in Eurodance 90's, as there is a veritable dining-car-smorgasbord of possibilities. Well, 3 to be exact.


A. The KLF (a.k.a. People of "K", Ancients of Mu Mu, The Timelords or WTF Are They On About)

with Last Train to Trancentral


B. Kadoc and Night Train


C. Quad City DJ's with C'mon 'N Ride It (The Train)



Slipping in the name "Jarryd Hayne", they become;

"Last Jarryd Hayne to Trancentral"

Or

"All aboard, Jarryd Hayne"

Or

"C'mon Jarryd Hayne, ride it"


Which all sound ridiculous, making them perfectly 90's.

I'm bored now, so I'll just give you the answer.

It's C.

The Quad City DJ's can now lay claim to Jarryd "The Hayne Train"'s theme song.

Spend the royalties wisely DJ's. Buy some ecstasy, hire a few girls in g-strings, wake up with your happy-pants soaked in Bacardi Breezer and then waste the rest of the money.

Wow. I think that's the longest time I've ever spent on something Rugby League related, unless you count yawning.

Interesting fact about Jarryd Hayne: Before he joined the Parramatta Eels, he was an amateur diver.

By Monique Kowalczyk

So what do you want to know?
MoniqueWillKnow@gmail.com

*Disclaimer*
Please don't go basing your PhD Thesis on anything I write here.
The information I provide comes with no guarantee of accuracy, and I'm just as likely to provide the most entertaining answer, as I am the factually correct answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment